Thursday, July 31, 2008

Child labour - take two

In an attempt to have everyone survive the summer, I've hired the nine year old from down the block. She comes to my house a couple of days every week for an hour or two and plays with my children: soccer, trains, tea parties, whatever... for this, I pay her $2 an hour. She's saving up for a new bike. She may get there by the end of the summer if my kids keep up the attitude.

However, the other day I was chatting with her mom about schedules and she mentioned how lovely it was to not have her daughter underfoot all day. So now I'm thinking - she should pay me $1 an hour to get her kid out of the house, and then I'll pay her $2 for playing with my kids. Sound fair?

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I concur!

Chaotic Joy said...

I think you can put her in a box and ship her to Georgia. And I will pay her nothing to occupy my younguns as obviously she will be on a vacation. Even if all she gets to see of Georgia is a mountanous pile of preschool toys.

And please, if you tell me I already have my own built in babysitters with Brandon and Allison, I may just have to slap you.

Virtually, of course.

Round the Bend said...

I'm sure she'd be happy to go on a working vacation to Georgia...

I'll talk to her mom. You'll pay her return postage?

karen said...

@joy: THINK, WOMAN. THINK! Get the useful 9-year-old in exchange for Allison! That way, the useful girl even gets a bed.