Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Bribery. I'm Not Above It.

Ross and spelling do not get along well. He knows which letters go in which words and generally begins with the correct first letter but he cares little for the order after that. The letters are in there - isn't that enough? Today's spelling quiz came home with another dismal score. Rather than lecture or weep, I told Ross that if he gets me four consecutive spelling quizzes, each with a maximum of one mistake, I will get him a Webkinz Tiger. Following a brief pretend crying jag, Ross finished up his homework with no word jumble spellings, making me think I ought to get a tiger in the closet before they are all sold out.

Not wanting to be left out of the Webkinz giveaway, Lars began following me around the house, spelling random words correctly. Seizing the moment, I told him that if he ties his own shoes - using regular old shoelace tying (not the creative woven monuments that look like cypress trees he sometimes comes up with) - every day for three weeks, I will get him a Lil'kinz Polar Bear. His eyes lit right up! Then he said, "Could I get Sketchers instead?" I gave him the glare of don't-press-your-luck and he retreated peacefully to the kitchen, where he made Chris give him a lesson in how to tie his shoes.

7 comments:

Kids Special Needs said...

I've told my kids, "If you get a bunch of F's, it's no problem. The x'th grade will be offered next year too, and you can take it as many times as it takes to pass. Your friends will go onto Y'th grade next year, and you can do grade X again."

Usually is a good tune-up and attitude adjustment for them after that.

Anonymous said...

Ross's great Aunt Mary is a rocket scientist genius with a PhD in Physics and as I recall, she couldn't spell a lick. This confirms that Ross is a genius. Meanwhile, what, pray tell,is a sketcher, and why would Lars want more than one? (and you shouldn't get any points for paying Ross for performance unless I can join WME and get points for paying you to pee in the pot)

LMP said...

As an official scored I'd say this can't net you any points, either. You call it bribery, I call it extrinsic motivation and sometimes that's the only thing that gets me to work in the morning.

Lady Epiphany said...

No points. Cash for grades is a pretty well-established practice.

@Grandmoo: Sketchers are pricey sneakers.

*pal said...

Maybe Ashley will share HER best story of bribery...it involves actually calling the Easter Bunny on the phone...

Chaotic Joy said...

Note: Sketchers are pricey sneakers that usually don't have shoelaces. I would guess this would explain why Lars wants them.

Ashley said...

Bribery works. I am a BIG fan of it.