Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Clean is overrated

So I'm not that great at getting the younger two bathed every day. Oh who am I kidding? I aim for every other day. Or when they stink. I have lots of excuses though. The older kids have lessons and practices late in the evening, and since I do the single parent thing during the week, just getting their teeth brushed and in bed at a decent time can be a stretch. So we do the babywipes-wipe-down. A lot.

But I do make it a point to wash the "good behavior" stamp from the day before off Ben's arm before he heads off to school. Can't have those things piling up. Someone might think the kid doesn't bathe. Occasionally I don't remember to check until we are in the car and then I am frantically scrubbing his arm with babywipes while trying to avoid the prying eyes of the other carpool moms.

God Bless Babywipes.

This morning we were heading off to school and Ben and Clara were wearing "hoodies" because it was chilly. They were both wearing their hoods up because it was their first time this year with the hoodies and hoods can be quite funny you know. We were approaching our turn in the carpool lane and I pulled down Ben's hood and was trying to use the "lick your finger and smooth" method to paste Ben's hair back into place when I realized he had oatmeal in his hair.

Crap.

Ben didn't have oatmeal for breakfast this morning.

He had dry cereal. That means the oatmeal was from yesterday. And he already wore it to school once.

Man. I'm totally busted.

12 comments:

David Oliver said...

Saw your site while logging in and decided to take a look. This is really funny stuff and reminds me of when our kids were young. I just can't tell my oldest about the site. He's already horrified at the idea of having kids.

karen said...

Oatmeal hair to school wouldn't necessarily earn you a point but the SAME oatmeal two days in a row? Totally worth a point. At least when the school sends the inspectors around, you'll be able to prove you've been feeding the kid!

*pal said...

Karen, I agree: feeding the child is definitely more important that bathing the child (at least that's what child protective services said...)

Ginger Johnson said...

Hell, I don't even try to bathe my kids every day or even every other day. We get baths on Wed and Sat (so at least they're clean for church on Sunday--did I really use the word "hell" in the same paragraph as "church"?? Perhaps I need more of the church part.)

The only exception is if there's a potty accident involved. Then hopefully there's a bath involved at the end of the day. But I make no promises.

No points to you. Sorry, Charlie. :)

Chaotic Joy said...

Wow Ging, you're tough. I think going to school with the same oatmeal in your hair two days in a row would be worth somthing around here.

And they say Hell at my church all the time....;)

Chaotic Joy said...

Wow Ging, you're tough. I think going to school with the same oatmeal in your hair two days in a row would be worth somthing around here.

And they say Hell at my church all the time....;)

Chaotic Joy said...

Hmmm. I repeated myself. I apparently think y'all have the same listening skills as my children.

Ashley said...

Next time (because of course there will be a next time), use the baby wipe for the hair too. Those suckers get out eveything...even grease smudges from pants!

LMP said...

We're on a Wednesday, Saturday bath schedule for the kids, too. Except when we forget...

karen said...

The boys here are subscribed to the You Must Shower After Playing Hockey plan, which lately means they meet up with some soap 3-5 times per week. In case you're wondering if this might not be just a bit excessive, consider this: the kids themselves notice and comment on how badly they smell after practice. I figure if a smell is bad enough for grammar school boys to notice, it warrants attention.

karen said...

P.S. But I'd still give Joy a point for the 2-day Oatmeal...

Chaotic Joy said...

See. That's why I love Karen. SHE knows a bad mom when she sees one. :)