Friday, January 11, 2008

Uh-oh

I got home late from the city yesterday, arriving in time to help get the kids through showers and into bed after hockey practice. When the kids were down, I ate dinner in the living room and watched a hockey game with Chris. Imagine my surprise when I found this note beside my place at breakfast this morning, after the kids had already left for school!

Chris grimly filled me in. There had been a food fight and yes, the letter of apology had been written and signed before they left for hockey last night.

When Ross came home, I made a point of looking at the note until he became visibly uncomfortable. "Do you want to tell me about what happened," I asked?

There was a pause, then Ross slowly replied, "Nnnno. Since you asked, no, I don't really want to tell you about it." And he walked off with the cautious gait of a boy who fully expects something horrible to happen. He got to the door of the room and risked a look back to meet my gaze. Finding me exactly where I'd been, he wasn't sure if he should be worried or relieved.

"You're right, I did ask. I'll respect your answer, if you'll promise me this will NOT happen again."

"It's a deal," he said with a little cringe, then a small grin. I have to admit, I felt a bit of pride...my baby's first food fight!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Ross! He's one of the guys! (And his Mama's true son!)

Missy said...

there is just something about how you described your look that I can see. I thought that was a very wise response of his...."since you asked" :) I guess you'll be careful in the future about what is in the form of a question verses statement...or demand?

Unknown said...

Kids still have food fights? Cool. Remember the spaghetti on the sqare ceiling w/ the holes in the Smallwood cafeteria that was up there foreeeeeeever? LOLOLOL....gosh if only ross knew..he wouldn't be so scared to walk in...i think he deserves pts. for his brilliant response...