Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Aversion Therapy

Saturday night, I cleaned the kids' room. Cleared out outgrown clothes, forced all toys back down to playroom, weeded & organized books, vacuumed. Once done, I got the kids to take a good look around and carefully reminded them that anything found out of place is subject to the trash can, at my whim.

At the close of Tuesday, their room was still clean! I decided to push the envelope. "Lars, will you please help me put this laundry away? Start with the pajamas - please put them in the PJ drawer." He grouched a tiny bit but got right up to help. He went to the dresser and opened the drawer, then came over to get a short stack of pajamas, then tripped on the soft bin we keep stuffies in and slammed his head into the iron baseboard radiator.

Point per stitch, anyone? I sort of wish he'd tripped BEFORE he started helping with the laundry...then I could've employed the 'ol, "If you'd been doing as you were asked, this never would have happened!" As it was, he was doing exactly what he was asked to do. Something tells me this does not bode well for future help with putting away laundry.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my poor baby...hugs from aunt kat! you can tell him my eybrow stich story of when i tried to fly & be like superman, missed, and hit my eybrow on the drawer...maybe that'll get a smile outta him :)

Anonymous said...

Playing hockey and climbing trees, he's unscathed. Picking up dirty laundry, he looks like he ran into a brick wall. It's a trick to be sure he never has to do housework again! (The location of the stitches IS akin to Sister K... the circle goes round!)

Chaotic Joy said...

Oh poor Lars. that is one heck of a goose-egg. I bet he wishes he had a cooler story to tell to go with it. Fell while helping my mother with laundry lacks a bit of a manly ring. :)

karen said...

I was under the tent, holding Lars while he got stitched up. We were talking about lots of things: Aunt Kat's Superman Flight, how great a Frankenstein costume would be this year, that next time Lars gets stitched up, it might be on the bench during a hockey game.

As with his previous black eyes, my guess is that Lars will, when asked, say how it's NOT from hockey because he wears a full cage helmet for that. Maybe he should wear the helmet more often? At least for housework?

*pal said...

Poor heart! Even with that monster goose-egg and the impressive stitches, he's still a cutie!!

Ashley said...

Wow! That takes a lot of talent to perfectly time a head cracking fall while doing exactly what your mom asked you to do. I see lots of future guilt coming!