Thursday, July 26, 2007

Calling the Bees

Bike rides around the block have become standard since the great melt-down. Returning riders are usually thirsty and happy, so imagine my surprise when I heard sobs of, "Mama! Mama!" following a recent ride. Ross entered, one hand clutching the other. "A bee stung me," he sobbed. Poor kid! He hasn't been stung since we moved four years ago (and that was a whopper set - more than 40 stings from stepping on a wasp nest). His finger was swollen at the sting point but he wasn't having any trouble breathing so I took him upstairs for a little anesthetic spray and a band-aid.

As I was patching him up, I asked how a bee managed to catch him while he was riding his bike. It turned out he'd been ahead of Chris and Lars, so he stopped at a corner to wait. While waiting, he was amusing himself by banging on the post of a stop sign with a stick. As he launched into an impressive imitation of the raucous noise he made, I assumed a horrified look, then changed to a mildly exasperated look and shook my head. "I'm not surprised you got stung if you were banging on the sign," I said. "Don't you know that CALLS the bees?"

Ross' eyes got like dinner plates. "It CALLS them? Like makes them come out?"
Chris nearly choked. I nodded solemnly. "Well," Ross declared, "I won't do THAT again!"

3 comments:

LMP said...

We need a standard point agreement for the value of a bold-faced lie told in an effort to forever alter behavior. But I think it needs to vary for example -
Lie told in frustrated exasperation - .5
Lie told for WME's own amusement - 1 (such as here)
Lie told by mistake due to personal ignorance (see Bug's Bunny's version of American History to his nephew) - 4

Anonymous said...

yeah 1 WMP...btw, did you take the stinger out first?

karen said...

Stinger wasn't in but yes, I did actually clean and care for the wound before psychologically messing with my kid.