Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Mama After Midnight

My all-time worst parenting takes place after 12 AM. I don't function well woken out of sound sleep. My usually censored Mama-language falls to the way-side and the modicum of patience I display during the day is completely lost.

The sound of size 8 feet pound solidly against the creaking wood floors in the wee hours. I open one eye to realize the face of my 4 AND A HALF year old daughter, eyes at half mast.

"Can I sleep here?"

"Are you [censored] kidding me? It is 2 o'clock in the [censored] morning. Get back to bed."

"But Mama..." The excuses cycle through her mind hitting the anticipated reactions in her little head. Bad dream? Tummy ache? Can't stop coughing?

"There isn't anything to discuss." I say. "Just go back to bed."

"Ok, Mama."

And I sit up in bed wondering how 30 pounds of person can possibly make that much noise.

1 comment:

karen said...

30 pounds of person makes that much noise using the same force of nature which allows 39 pounds of person to consume half the food you guys made for Lindsay's party...