Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Sandcastles anyone?

I wasn't even going to post today. I am feeling grumpy and not particularly like writing witty anecdotes. Epiphany swooped in last night, or this morning - or whatever you call 2:40AM - and let me off the hook, and I was going to use the free pass.

But then I saw that Paige, who last I heard hasn't even birthed a child yet, is beating us all at worst mothering gig. And since I am definitely in a "I'm the worst mama, damn it" kind of mood, I changed my mind.

Kidding. Sort of kidding.

It's been a yucky kind of week. I know it's only Wednesday, but the week so far has been like 3 freakin Mondays in a row. The kids have been terrors and I seem to be completely overwhelmed with actually completing tasks that everyone else seems to manage without difficulty. Like keeping the home from looking like an episode of Clean Sweep, or grocery shopping, or feeding my children. And I know that this is only going to get worse with the quickly approaching major Holiday-which-will-not-be-named-because-even-hearing-the-word-stresses-me-out.

So yesterday morning I sent the weekids outside to play in the sandbox while I attempted to scrub my kitchen, knowing full well that I was buying kitchen cleaning time with time cleaning sand out of crevices later that day. The back wall of our home is almost all windows that look out on the deck where we keep the sandbox. I could see the children easily from the kitchen.

So after a bit of scrubbing I walked over to the windows to admire the view of my two youngest offspring playing so happily together. It's really a rare thing in this house for anyone to be playing happily with anyone else. Sad but true. And just more proof of my WME status. As I am standing there starting to get a warm fuzzy, I notice that Ben keeps bending over and putting his face near the sand and bobbing back up again. He then digs in the sand for a minute, and repeats the process.

I look closer and realize He. Is. Spitting! Spitting in the sand and then making tiny spit-sand patties.

Oh...Groooss.

I ran to the back door to tell him to cease immediately, but stopped with my hand on the knob. If I walk out on the deck Clara will see me. If Clara sees me she will immediately start crying and trailing behind me tugging at my pants leg. (She's been doing this for days now.) My kid free cleaning time will officially be over.

So I head back to the kitchen and finish my chore, making a point to keep my glances in the direction of the deck brief and unfocused.

And made a mental note to quit putting my feet in the sand when I go outside to read.

6 comments:

karen said...

+1 WMP for letting one kid spit into sand he and another kid are playing in! I think I might have rushed onto the deck without thinking and gotten the Clara leg addition...I'm in awe of your forethought and restraint!

karen said...

P.S. I might award an extra point if you forget and stick your feet in the spit...

Lady Epiphany said...

Yeah I'm with Karen. I was letting Lindsay transfer kitty kibbles with a spoon into the back of a dump
truck because it meant I didn't have to trip over her while I was making dinner last night, which Lauren tried to clean them up with a broom and dustpan.

Have you read Sink Reflections? It's simple ideas but the philosophy of spending 15 minutes cleaning and then moving on works well for me. I've been using it to prepare the house for you-know-what.

Lady Epiphany said...

Oh! And yes, I have the sort of insomnia that wakes me up at some random hour. I think that was 5 AM.

*pal said...

It's no wonder the quickly approaching major Holiday-which-will-remain-nameles stresses you out...heck we went straight from Hallowe'en to Christmas. I will never understand why we allow Kay Jewelers and Zales to steal a whole month from our year. I NEED those weeks!

Chaotic Joy said...

Oh I know, I sound quite incompetent while I am whining don't I. It's really just Clara. She's teething or something and just whines/cries all day if I am not holding her. Which means I either get nothing done, or I listen to her cry all day which makes me want to scream.

Goodness knows I have been through this before though, it will pass.

Today would be good.