Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Queen for a day...

Will goes to a co-op preschool, which means there is a lot of parent involvement. Parents are assigned days to come be the helping parent. Today was my day. That would have been fine, but the teacher was gone for a workshop, so I got to be the teacher, with two other parents being the helping parents. Me! In charge of 12 three-year olds! Hah!

The daughter of the other helping parent was having issues. Potty issues, separation issues. Issues. ISSUES, even, if you catch my drift. So I found myself intervening, just because I was an adult who was not the Mom. I grabbed her hand and went to the corner of the room that has cushions, stuffed animals, pillows, and a quilt. It's never used, probably because the teacher just cuddles sad children, rather than sending them to a corner. Me, I might send them to a corner, but that's why I'm not the teacher. :)

Anyway, I pulled Mairead over there, and for some reason, she came. So did Will. Then Elizabeth, Mollie, and Andrew. I think Abby was there too. And Hannah. Squished together in this little corner in between the wall and the cupboard. Everyone on my lap. And I told them a story about a rabbit named Silas who discovered an enormous carrot--so big that he couldn't eat it all by himself, so when Henry the mouse came along, Silas was so thankful to have a friend to help him eat it....blah, blah, blah.

By the time I finished my ridiculous story, it was time for potty and clean up, then snack.

Who knew I (a Worst Mama Ever) would be the queen of the three-year old crowd?

4 comments:

Chaotic Joy said...

Oh I knew it. I teach 3 yr old choir now, instead of 4th grade, and they love me. They haven't caught on to my worst mama status yet.

I am glad you had this moment though. 3 year old love is a beautiful thing. You better be glad we can't take points away though. This was definately not a worst mama moment.

karen said...

+1 WMP for barricading yourself behind a wall of three-year-olds rather than socialize with the mother of a kid with ISSUES. :)

Ginger Johnson said...

Ok, she doesn't really have ISSUES--just the kind of issues that three-year olds have: clinging to mommy, not wanting to go potty, wanting to be held...

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful teacher-student ratio! Nothing is better than Mom's and Dad's for teachers anyway! At very least, you taught them not to leave you in charge of 12 3 year olds again!